Broad-Based Admissions Overview
In 2012, UBC expanded its use of broad-based admissions – an application process based both on grades and personal experiences – to all applicants of direct-entry undergraduate programs at the Vancouver and Okanagan campuses. UBC is the largest Canadian university to include non-academic criteria in its application process on this scale.
The Personal Profile is required of all high school students applying to all UBC degrees on the Vancouver and Okanagan campuses. It is also required of all transfer applicants into the Bachelor of Commerce and Kinesiology degrees on the Vancouver campus and the Nursing degree on the Okanagan campus.
The Personal Profile requires applicants to answer four to seven “personal profile” questions. The questions give applicants the opportunity to demonstrate self-reflection through their learning, challenges, experiences and goals in relation, but not limited to:
- Leadership/group contributions – e.g., student government experience, community involvement, family responsibility, etc.
- Academic achievements – e.g., research projects, success in contests, prizes won for high standing, etc.
- Sports involvement – e.g., membership on teams, participation in competitions, etc.
- Creative and performing arts experience
- Work experience
- Volunteer experience and service to others
Knowing more about prospective students through the use of a personal profile in the application process helps identify those who will flourish at UBC not only because of high grades but because of the experiences and ambition they bring with them.
Alumni Reader Application – 2019 Admissions Cycle
Please be sure to thoroughly review the Broad-Based Admissions Alumni Reader Role Description (PDF) prior to completing your application.
Broad-Based Admissions Alumni Readers play a vital role in helping to shape the community of students and future alumni of the University of British Columbia.
For this role we are seeking alumni volunteers who are passionate about UBC, interested to learn more about prospective students and committed to thoroughly reviewing applications with accuracy, consistency and free from bias. Alumni of all UBC faculties and schools are welcome to apply to be Broad-Based Admissions Alumni Readers.
Alumni volunteers must NOT be in any situation that is, or could be perceived as a conflict with the role of reading and scoring personal profiles including:
- a current applicant to UBC (for undergraduate programs);
- a parent or guardian of a current applicant to UBC;
- a counsellor or advisor to applicants to UBC; or
- an employee of another post-secondary institution.
Please note that this role requires confidentiality and a significant time commitment.
Thank you in advance for your interest in this exciting volunteer opportunity!
Once we have received and reviewed your application, we will be in touch with you regarding your acceptance as a BBA Alumni Reader.