Are you looking for the opportunity to share your professional knowledge and experience with fellow UBC alumni and students? alumni UBC, in partnership with UBC’s Centre for Student Involvement & Careers, has created a convenient and easy way to provide informal mentorship.
The first step is to create a professional profile on The UBC Hub, our online networking platform. When creating your profile, you will be asked to select what you’d like to share. Simply indicate ‘Providing Mentorship’ as one of your options and you will be instantly searchable by the UBC community. You may be contacted for various forms of career conversations, either in person or online. You will receive an email notification to your preferred address when someone contacts you through the platform. You choose the type of support you are able and willing to provide.
Types of assistance may include:
- Industry and job market insights
- Informal review of resumes, cover letters and online profile
- Career advice
- Informational interviews
- Networking strategies
How often will you be contacted?
There is no way to predict this as it is based entirely on the needs of the community at any given time. Alumni and students will be able to search for you on the platform, and if you have the background and knowledge they are looking for, they will reach out to you by sending you a message. Inquiries will be communicated directly to you through your preferred email address. We ask that you acknowledge all inquiries within 48 hours.
How much of a time commitment is required?
The mentorship you provide is informal and may be on a one-time or ongoing basis. How much you engage, and with whom, is your choice. If you find yourself with too many requests at once, you can direct alumni and students to seek another mentor.
Benefits of Mentoring
- Improve your communication and leadership skills
- Expand your professional network
- Gain new perspectives on your career
- Give back to your industry and the UBC community
- Take advantage of free meeting space and a complimentary beverage for you and your mentee from Loafe Café when you meet at the Robert H. Lee Alumni Centre for mentorship. Contact email@example.com or 604-822-3313 to reserve your space, and pick up your beverage voucher from the front desk upon arrival.
Become a Mentor
Follow these steps:
- Create a free profile on the The UBC Hub (Make sure you sign up with an email address you check regularly).
- When it asks “Select what you’d like to share,” check Providing Mentorship
- Then select from the list of other types of support you are able to provide to alumni and students.
Note: Once inquiries and introductions are made, both parties will be free to manage these connections in whatever way suits their needs. alumni UBC does not screen the individuals who have joined The UBC Hub. When meeting students or alumni in person, please exercise the same caution you would when planning a face-to-face meeting with anyone you’ve connected with online (i.e. meet in a public place).
Questions or Feedback? Email firstname.lastname@example.org