Are you looking for a convenient and informal opportunity to share your professional knowledge and experience with fellow UBC alumni and students? alumni UBC, in partnership with UBC’s Centre for Student Involvement & Careers, has established a new Online Career Mentorship program to help make these connections.
We invite alumni from around the world to volunteer as Online Career Mentors. As members of the UBC Hub on the networking platform Ten Thousand Coffees, Online Career Mentors are searchable by the UBC community and may be contacted for various forms of career conversations, either in person or online. You will receive an email notification to your preferred address when someone contacts you through the platform. You choose the type of support you are able and willing to provide.
Types of assistance may include:
- Industry and job market insights
- Informal review of resumes, cover letters and online profile
- Career advice
- Informational interviews
- Networking strategies
How often will you be contacted?
There is no way to predict this as it is based entirely on the needs of the community at any given time. Alumni and students will be able to search for Online Career Mentors on the platform, and if you have the background and knowledge they are looking for, they will reach out to you by sending you a message. Inquiries will be communicated directly to you through your preferred email address. We ask that you acknowledge all inquiries within 48 hours.
How much of a time commitment is required?
The online mentorship you provide may be on a one-time or ongoing basis. How much you engage, and with whom, is your choice. If you find yourself with too many requests at once, you can direct alumni and students to seek another mentor.
Benefits of Mentoring
- Improve your communication and leadership skills
- Expand your professional network
- Gain new perspectives on your career
- Give back to your industry and the UBC community
- Take advantage of free meeting space and a complimentary beverage for you and your mentee from Loafe Café when you meet at the Robert H. Lee Alumni Centre for mentorship. Contact email@example.com or 604-822-3313 to reserve your space, and pick up your beverage voucher from the front desk upon arrival.
Become an Online Career Mentor
Follow these steps:
- Create a free profile on Ten Thousand Coffees
- Join the UBC Hub (Make sure you sign up with an email address you check regularly)
- Select the role: Online Career Mentor
- Choose from a list of types of support you are able to provide to alumni and students
Note: Once inquiries and introductions are made, both parties will be free to manage these connections in whatever way suits their needs. Along the way, alumni UBC will check in with you, and will provide resources to help you with your role. alumni UBC does not screen the individuals who have joined the UBC Hub on the Ten Thousand Coffees platform. When meeting students or alumni in person, please exercise the same caution you would when planning a face-to-face meeting with anyone you’ve connected with online (i.e. meet in a public place).
If you require any additional support in your role as Online Career Mentor, please contact our Alumni Career Educator, Michele Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ten Thousand Coffees is an online platform designed to help you make professional connections, either in person or online. There is an exclusive UBC Hub on the Ten Thousand Coffees platform, open to members of the UBC community. Through the UBC Hub, you can build your network, share your experiences, and exchange ideas – all through the power of a coffee chat, in person or online. Whether you’re a student or an executive, an entrepreneur or employee, Ten Thousand Coffees is the easiest way for you to find interesting people for meaningful conversations.